Hadiya's Date And Caramel Cake!

12:10



Warm caramel sauce over a lovely soft date cake.

It was just before the beginning of Ramadan when my husband came home one day with a few boxes of Medjool dates. Me being a lover of dates I decided I wanted to bake a cake and incorporate dates in the recipe. so I opened my laptop and began to search for how to make a date cake. I finally came across a site that I liked and decided to test it out.. it was terrible! Anyway after a few attempts
adding my own my style to it I got it right!  

I personally use Medjool dates because I find them to be darker in colour as well as stickier and richer in taste. You can find them in your local butchers, however if you cant find them any other dates will do.



RECIPE;
Yields 6-8  Prep Time 20mins  Cooking Time 45mins

You'll Need

350g medjool dates (pitted and chopped finely)
2 cups of boiling water
2 teaspoons of bicarb
1/2 cup of dark brown sugar
150g of butter at room temp
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract (no specific brand or type)
2 eggs at room temp
2 1/2 cups of self raising flour

For the caramel sauce I advise making it from scratch. There is a big difference in taste between shop bought and home made and tbh Home made wins every time. but if like me and you don't always have the time to make it from scratch CARNATION CARAMEL SAUCE is ok. 
                                                
                       You will need
65g of butter (cut into small chunks at room temp)
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup (350ml) of extra thick double cream
1 cup of brown sugar
                   
Method
  • preheat your oven to 180 degrees (Gas mark 4 /350 degrees Fahrenheit) then grease and line an 8 inch pan with baking paper.
  •  place your dates and bicarbonate of soda in a heatproof bowl or pan and cover with water. Allow to stand for 20-25 minutes.
  • In a separate bowl beat your vanilla sugar and butter until fluffy then one at a time add in your eggs. if you don't have an electric mixer use a whisk.
  • once your dates are tender pour in the dates along with the hot water into the butter mix bowl whisking gently.
  • finally add in your flour and fold gently creating a smooth somewhat thick consistency.
  • pop it in the oven for about 45 minutes or until you insert a toothpick or knife in the centre of the cake and it come out clean.
Leave to stand for 10 minutes transfer until a wire rack or plate, then add your warm caramel sauce (combine remaining ingredients into a pot over medium to low heat and stir for 2-3 minutes. reduce heat to the lowest setting and allow to lightly simmer)

       AND THERE YOU HAVE IT!



You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks sooo good! I have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete